Workout Style for Men (Hey, We're Really Trying)

Workout Clothes for Men

Workout Style for Men

Today, I want to talk about something less important on paper, but more important than many people would give credit (ladies, proceed reading with caution as I’m about to embarrass myself to the female population).

Workout Style.

Let me preface with the fact I am not one to consult on the latest trends in fitness fashion, however, I would like to shed some light on what’s out there and share my analysis of what’s changed since I’ve had a close eye on the industry.

Arnold Schwarzenegger old-school Gold’s Gym

The 80s and 90s were seemingly more about practicality the function; undoubtedly, they were not about fashion. Guys across America are pumping iron in the garage sporting their oldest t-shirt and the same pair of shorts they just wore to mow the lawn.”If it’s gonna get all sweaty, likely rip, and needs to be comfortable, then why would I fork out money for anything to wear just for workouts?”, they [probably] said. I only made an appearance at the tail end of the 80s, but I’ve seen plenty of movies and I know people.

Fast forward to the thousands(?) and now you’re seeing established companies like Under Armour, Nike, and the like, coming out with more and more, for the purposes of performing better and being even more comfortable. They knew exactly how to market to us. As men, we don’t like to admit we want to look good during our time at the gym, but truer words have never been typed. For many of us, it’s really the only thing on our mind. Ladies, you should commend us for the intention, though we typically overdo it a fumble our way through the encounters we do have. Testosterone is a finicky hormone. We do what we can.

Continuing the timeline, in the past ten years I’ve seen a massive influx of second-tier brands, any of whom can be an overnight success with modern social media and how easy it is to present yourself; which is what these companies rely on. Ok, I do have a small amount of credibility… I actually co-ran a fitness-fashion blog with a friend for about a year and a half. Over that time, brand after brand were popping up like GymShark / Alphalete / RHONE / Live Fit Apparel / ASRV / ECHT / etc., all of whom present themself as super high end (à la LuLuLemon) and charge 'premium’ prices that most people can't justify for stuff to sweat in. I’ve got to hand it to them, though, some of the quality is exceptional, but where’s the point of ridiculousness when opening your wallet? A couple outfits from the aforementioned retailers and now Millennials are looking at a cost equivalent to their college loan payoffs.

If you can afford it, by all means, rock it.

But me? I'm a cheapskate… or so I’m told. I’d like to think of it as being frugal.

I've searched high and low for affordable workout clothes… including many long, frustrating Google sessions. Resultantly, 80% of my exercise clothing comes from TJ Maxx and H&M. I fill in the remaining 20% with pieces that are special and unique to me, to add just a touch of individuality and separate from the pack. Old band t-shirts with the sleeves cutoff and backwards hockey hats are my go-to to complement a cheap/functional wardrobe of workout wear.

What do you add-in to feel more YOU when you’re in your groove to move?

H&M Sportswear – cheap workout clothes for men

H&M doesn’t have their Sportswear line in most stores but they have good quality stuff at an affordable price online.

Check it out << I do not receive a commission from this, but I hope to help your bank account and perhaps your ego, inadvertently.